I am a Christian, but as I continue on my faith journey I’m learning to appreciate other expressions of spirituality and disciplines of the mind, body, and soul. Spirituality is an essential aspect of human life that helps us connect with something greater than ourselves, find meaning and purpose, and navigate through the challenges of life. A healthy spirituality practice can bring peace, joy, and fulfillment to our lives.
Here are ten ways that I believe are helpful in practicing healthy spirituality:
- Spend time in nature: Nature has a way of connecting us with something greater than ourselves. Take time to walk in nature, appreciate the beauty of the world around you and allow yourself to be present in the moment. The wisdom of the Hebrew Scriptures tell us that “The heavens declare the glory of God.”
- Meditate or pray: Take time each day to quiet your mind and focus on your breath. This can help you connect with your inner self and find peace and clarity. Praying can also be a form of meditation and can help you connect with a higher power. For some, the idea of “just pray about it” can cause discomfort because of traumatic moments when they feel their concerns weren’t taken seriously. But whatever you call it or how you choose to exercise it, finding those quiet moments are helpful.
- Read spiritual texts: Reading spiritual texts can help you gain a deeper understanding of your beliefs and values. It can also provide guidance and inspiration for your spiritual journey. The Bible continues to be a great source of wisdom for me, but others books are helpful as well as I continue to learn and grow. I also joined a book club, where I have the opportunity to read books that wouldn’t normally appear of interest to me. Reading is a wonderful gift and getting together with others to talk about what you are collectively reading is a great way to grow and cultivate community.
- Practice gratitude: Take time each day to reflect on the things you are grateful for. This can help you focus on the positive aspects of your life and find contentment.
- Volunteer or serve others: Helping others can be a fulfilling way to practice spirituality. By giving of yourself, you are connecting with something greater than yourself and making a positive impact in the world.
- Practice self-care: Taking care of your physical, emotional, and mental well-being is essential for healthy spirituality. Make sure you are getting enough sleep, eating well, and engaging in activities that bring you joy.
- Attend religious services or gatherings: Attending religious services or gatherings can provide a sense of community and connection to something greater than yourself. It can also provide a time for reflection and contemplation. This can be difficult if your past experiences with religious services were traumatic, but finding a safe place to practice your beliefs with other like minded people is essential to wholistic well being.
- Journal or write: Writing can be a form of self-expression and can help you gain insight into your thoughts and feelings. It can also be a way to connect with your inner self and reflect on your spiritual journey.
- Listen to music: Music can be a powerful tool for spiritual growth. It can evoke emotions and help you connect with something greater than yourself. And actually experiences of the arts in all their forms can serve as a transformative and enlightening experience.
- Seek guidance: Don’t be afraid to seek guidance from a spiritual teacher or mentor. They can provide support and guidance on your spiritual journey.
These are only a few examples of ways to practice healthy spirituality. It’s important to find what works for you and make it a regular part of your life. Remember that spirituality is a personal journey and it should be approached with an open mind and heart. It’s important to also keep in mind that spirituality is not a fixed destination, it’s a continuous journey that changes as one evolves and evolve with you.